What is the 3-1-1 rule?
3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 oz. container size is a security measure.(http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm)

311 brochure


Why should I register with the US Embassy/Consulate?
Registration at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate (in the country you are visiting) makes your presence and whereabouts known, in case it is necessary for a consular officer to contact you in an emergency. During a disaster overseas, American consular officers can assist in evacuation were that to become necessary. But they cannot assist you if they do not know where you are.

Registration is particularly important for those who plan to stay in a country longer than one month, or who will travel to:
*A country that is experiencing civil unrest, has an unstable political climate, or is undergoing a natural disaster, such as an earthquake or a hurricane.
*A country where there are no U.S. officials. In such cases, you should register at the U.S. embassy or consulate in an adjacent country, leave an itinerary with the Consular Section, ask about conditions in the country that you will visit and ask about the third country that may represent U.S. interests there.(http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/registration/registration_1186.html)



Passport Book vs. Passport Card.  Which one is better?
Due to the economy, many people might choose to go with the passport card because it is cheaper than the passport book. However, it is important to weigh in all the options available to you. Both the passport book and card are renewable after 10 years (adults) and 5 years (children).

*Choose a passport card if you will enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. A passport card cost $55 for adults and $40 for children under the age of 16 for first time applicants.

*Choose a passport book if you will need to fly internationally within 10 years for adult and 5 years for children. A passport book cost $135 for adults and $105 for children under the age of 16 for first time applicants.

You can also get a passport book and card as a package for Adults it is $165 and for Child it is $120.

passport   OR  passportcard
Passport Book   Passport Card

What shots or medications do I need to take if I am travelling out of the country?
All travelers should familiarize themselves with conditions at their destination that could affect their health (high altitude or pollution, types of medical facilities, required immunizations, availability of required pharmaceuticals, etc.).  While some of this information may be found in the documents listed above, the key resource for health information is the Travelers’ Health page of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website at http://www.cdc.gov/travel. (http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html#health)